Interview with Owner Sara Lily Perez by Intern Hang Nguyen

Sara Lily Perez is a Berlin and New York-based gallerist, art curator and businesswoman. She recently opened an environmental gallery called Galerie SLP in Berlin. To sustain the gallery, she has a small work team of 5 people which includes her partner, her friend, two interns and herself. Her gallery is slowly but steadily growing; this brings many new challenges to work through and exciting goals to accomplish. 


How do you respond when people ask what our job is? 

I say that I am a gallerist. The mission of my gallery is to create meaningful conversations about society; specifically, my gallery focuses on the theme of sustainability and the environment while working to promote unity and quality.  Since the opening of the gallery, I have had the chance to meet so many amazing artists from different backgrounds with different ideas and values. My role is to provide a space that will allow these artists and their works to be presented with respect and care. The process of representing an artwork requires many tasks in which my team and I take care of. 


How do you organize an exhibition in your gallery? 

I first get in touch with artists who are interested in showing in the gallery. We would have a conversation discussing their works and their values. This allows me to get to know the artist, understand the intention behind their works and the message they are trying to push forward. Often, if the values of the artists are aligned with the gallery’s, I write up a contract to formalize the collaboration. 


 What is the most exciting and satisfying part of your job?


I would say that the task of meeting new artists, having conversations with them.

I would like to provide the gallery as a space not only for established artists but also to nurture new and rising artists. During my years of working as a curator, I’ve realized that many artists lack formal training or educational background; as a result, they are rejected from many galleries and art spaces. On the other hand, I have a different set of criteria while selecting artists, I try to ensure that these criteria do not limit them only to their formal educational training. 


What are some of the struggles and challenges you experience when opening your gallery?

The artists I work with consist of different types of people with different approaches and styles. This brings excitement to my job because it is interesting to work with so many types of artists. However, there are also the struggles of ensuring a standard level of mutual respect which allow the collaboration to happen. Often, there are unexpected and sudden changes that come up; this can come in various forms. For example, an artist could ask for some information about the exhibition after all the invitations have been sent out. Another example is that the artist might want to back out after signing a binding contract. These are some of the issues that have arisen in the past. It takes a lot of energy to operate with fairness and respect while dealing with these problems. I always have backup plans and alternatives in case the initial plan goes wrong. 


Is Berlin a good place to open a gallery? And why?

“Having my own gallery allows me to plan ahead.  I wanted to have a set place where I can bring in artists instead of having to depend on external locations and fitting into other locations' schedules. It was important to open our own gallery because it gives artists of all mediums the opportunity to exhibit works. Being based in Berlin is definitely beneficial to the gallery. It is not only the city itself that is filled with arts and artists, the district we are in also gives us a big advantage.”


How much planning does an exhibition require?

Each exhibition consists of days, weeks and months of planning ahead. I am currently already planning exhibitions for 2022 and communicating with potential artists. My typical day starts at 11 and ends at 19:00. I work 6 days per week and during the holidays I work 7 days per week. The gallery is still at its beginning stages, so a lot of work is required to build a strong foundation. Financially, it is too early to tell if the gallery alone will provide enough support. I am very fortunate to still have my business in New York running, this helps me to financially sustain myself and buy me some time with the gallery. With such an extensive amount of workload, I am still trying to find a healthy balance between my professional and personal life. At the moment, I struggle to find enough time for myself, and it can be quite stressful at times. 


What is it like to have your own business?


Having my own gallery and being my own boss is fantastic, However, I also believe that there is more to me than just owning a gallery. My job happens to be something I love doing, but it doesn’t define who I am. I am someone who cares about the environment, sustainability and creating conversations. There is always much more to a person than just their job.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Womanhood by Rebekka Macht October 14th–30th

Blackbird Fly by Antoinette Cauley